I snagged another recipe from the super-resourceful Money Saving Mom, surprise, surprise. A really yummy black bean soup! I made it once last week and once this week, a total of 4 pots full! I quadrupled the recipe both times. Yup, it’s good. 🙂
Black Bean Soup
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 3 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder (I used a little less as this can make it kind of spicy)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (I used extra, mmm, cumin!)
- 6 cups veggie broth (MSM used chicken broth)
- 6 cups cooked and drained black beans (or 4 15-oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed)
- Salt and pepper
I put all of these ingredients into my super handy pressure cooker and call it a day! Once up to pressure, I cook for about 13 minutes. (What?! You don’t own a pressure cooker? You are missing out!) 🙂
Or you can do it MSM’s way…
Saute onion, garlic, pepper, carrots, and celery in oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally and cook until softened. Add chili powder and cumin and saute for a few more minutes.
Stir in broth and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Remove a few cups of the soup and puree in a blender. Stir pureed soup back into the soup, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for about 5 more minutes. (I didn’t puree mine and we really liked it that way, I’m all about the shortcuts come dinnertime hour).